When I googled how to make P2s nativity costume I was surprised to actually be stuck for finding any tutorials. It was probably the places I was looking or I’m just a blind bat, but I took Pinterest photos for inspiration and made it up as I went along. I am actually so pleased with the result, she’s an Angel for her first nativity this week and the outfit we made was actually so simple yet looks so beautiful!
Things You’ll Need:
- 1x Standard White Pillowcase
- 1x Reel of White Thread
- 1x Long Piece of Silver/Gold/both Tinsel
- A Little Bit of Sellotape
- Shop bought wings (I’m not that good!)
- Get your toddler/child to lay on top of the pillowcase lengthways as central as possible. With a pencil put a few markers by the sides of their shoulders and under arm.
- Fold pillowcase in half length ways and cut a semi circle from the top to the side where you have put your markers. These will be arm holes.
- Keeping it folded, cut a small semi circle in the folded corner (when opened this should be the middle). Cut it small to start with, keep trying it on over your child’s head. You don’t want it too big but it must comfortably go over your child’s head as it probably won’t be you getting them ready.
- Take about an inch, or more depending on how tall your child is, from the bottom of the pillowcase. You don’t want them tripping.
- If the sides are fraying – fold the edges of the neck, arms and bottom and do a simple stitch to hem them.
- Take your tinsel and start from one side. Leave about an inch from the bottom and stitch thread gently, looping over your tinsel. I did one stitch every inch or so just to secure the tinsel in place. Go all around the bottom edge. Cut off any extra.
- Using the left over tinsel, wrap around your child’s head. Tie it twice very carefully. Then put a bit of sellotape around the tied part.
This was my first attempt at making a nativity costume all by myself. I am so incredibly proud and it only took a few hours to complete, the day before she needed it! I would normally go and buy an outfit because I’ve never had the effort (P1s cow onesie for her Nativity) but I’m so pleased that I’ve made this one. She looks gorgeous!!